Care of Pearls
Pearls are an organic gem and they require specific care that will protect them for a very long time. They can be harmed by contact with many chemicals found in household cleaners, perfumes, cosmetics and hair care products of all kinds.
- Never use toothbrushes, scouring pads or any type of abrasive material to clean your Pearls. —-Never use any “magic eraser” or other commercial cleaning pad, even those ‘safe for non-stick’ or otherwise presented as “gentle”.
- Never clean your pearls with anything containing chlorine bleach, vinegar or ammonia (including Windex). All will harm pearls. Avoid anything other than water and soap (not detergent).
- Never expose your Pearls to dish or laundry detergents, bleaches, powdered cleansers, or baking soda.
- Never use any type of ultrasonic cleaner.
- Never steam clean your Pearls.
- Never use tarnish remover or any type of jewelry cleaner advertised on TV as a miracle cleaner.
- Never store your pearls in any type of plastic bag. Plastic can emit a chemical that will cause the surface of the Pearl to deteriorate.
- Never leave your pearls around a direct source of heat such as a fireplace mantle, on top of a television set, or stove.
- Never store your Pearls in a very dry room or in a safe deposit box for a long time. Your Pearls need a little moisture like your skin so that they will not dry out!
- Always use only jewelry cleaners that are labeled as safe for Pearls.
- Always store your Pearls wrapped in a soft cloth or pouch and protected from all abrasive objects.
- Always wipe your Pearls with a soft cloth moistened with water.
- If spills or drips get on your pearls (“oops” happens…), give them a good soak in lukewarm water with gentle natural soap (not detergent). Rinse well and allow to dry wrapped in a cotton cloth, then wear them to return some oils from your skin to the pearls. Remember, water doesn’t hurt pearls, they grew up in it!
- Always remove your Pearls if you reapply hair spray, or put on perfume with a sprayer: both can damage Pearls.
- Always remove Pearls before exercising or otherwise getting sweaty. (It’s not the water or the salt, but the pH of sweat is not good for them.)
- Always be aware of the type of fabrics you wear. Fabrics like Shetland wool can damage Pearls
- Always remember that you are wearing a gift from the sea and the better you take care of them the longer they will maintain their warm glowing luster.